Friday, November 30, 2018

November: Thanks Giving and Thanks Taking

Hey everyone.

I just wanted to start this post out talking about November. Since I was a kid, I always associated this entire month with one particular Thursday: Thanksgiving. My parents moved to Orlando from Bangladesh in the 90s, and thanksgiving is always a tradition at our household, including my large family (my dad is 1 of 10 siblings!). It's always fun, and it's the one day of the year my mom cooks more American type food. Even so, she manages to put her own spice to it! Literally... just look at that turkey! She made two and this was the second one. 



Also in this month was one of my strongest med pharm performances. Med pharm is the highest weight class, and it felt very good to get an A in the module which Dr. Clarkson called the "Mother" of all of our content modules! It feels amazing when studying pays off, and I wholeheartedly enjoy the feeling more than just about (almost) anything I do.. despite how stressful the process of studying can be.

This was also the month I got on top of my service hours. I participated in the edible forest project, which is meant to plant fruitful trees on the front yards of New Orleans residents. It was fascinating for me, a lifelong Orlando resident to see how people in New Orleans live. The people are good hearted despite all the adversity they must put up with. It was a great feeling to help people be able to potentially have a free source of healthy fruit and vegetables down the line. I also participated in volunteering two times for second harvest aiding in sorting dry food to be shipped out. It was nothing glamorous, but I felt it was appropriate given the time of year, and felt a sense of accomplishment in aiding in food distribution to the people of this city who need it the most!


just look at this table! chicken and beef curry on the side for any uncles and aunts not in the mood to step outside our usual food boundaries.

November Service Hours: 12.5

Total Service Hours: 12.5


-Ujaan

No comments:

Post a Comment